Background Image

Frequently Asked Questions

In this Section

What is the deadline for submitting my application for transfer admission?
The preferred application deadline for fall admission is July 1 and for spring admission is December 1. Applications received after the preferred deadline will only be reviewed if space permits. Notification of admission decisions is made on a rolling basis.

Do you have a required minimum GPA to be considered for transfer admission?
We look for a cumulative GPA of 2.75. Most students who transfer to Clarkson have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.

How is transfer credit awarded?
If you are offered transfer admission to Clarkson, we will send your transcript(s) and course descriptions to your academic department at Clarkson for an official evaluation. The faculty evaluator will compare the courses you have taken, or will have taken by the time you enroll, to the required courses in your Clarkson degree program. A grade of "C" or better must be achieved for a course to transfer. We will only transfer in those courses which meet a requirement in your degree program.

When will I find out how much transfer credit I have received?
We try to have your official credit evaluation to you within two weeks of notification of your acceptance to Clarkson. The credit evaluation will indicate which courses are eligible for transfer, how many courses you have left to complete at Clarkson, and how long that will take. We will even evaluate coursework at your current school that you have not completed yet. This will be evaluated as pending credit, meaning the credit will be granted upon completion of the course and a grade of "C" or better in the course.  

How much financial aid will I receive?
We cannot give estimates on financial aid packages. If you wish to be considered for need-based financial assistance, you must file the FAFSA form. We will automatically consider all transfer applicants for merit-based scholarships. There is not a separate application to complete to be considered for merit-based awards. Types of financial aid include need-based grants, merit-based scholarships, federal aid, state aid, loans and campus work study.

How do I apply for financial aid?
You will need to file the FAFSA to be considered for need-based assistance. All applicants are automatically considered for merit-based awards. You should also be looking for outside scholarships. A good place to look is

Is on-campus housing available for transfer students?
Clarkson is a residential campus and we require students to live on campus. Therefore, housing is guaranteed to transfer students.

Do I have to live on campus?
Students who wish to make their own arrangements to live off-campus must get a housing exemption through the Office of Residence Life. Automatic exemptions are granted to married students, commuter students, students with children, and those who are 25 years of age or older. Exemptions are limited for transfer students who don't meet an automatic exemption requirement and cannot be guaranteed.

Once I am accepted, how do I sign up for my courses?
After you are offered admission to Clarkson and submit your enrollment deposit, you are automatically pre-registered for the courses listed on your credit evaluation. If you have questions or concerns about the courses we have listed, you can speak with your academic advisor.

Is an interview required?
While we do not require an interview, we strongly encourage you to visit campus. For many students, this is the most important part of the transfer process. When you visit campus, you will be able to meet one-on-one with a transfer admission representative. We can also arrange for you to meet faculty who can talk to you about the academic programs you are interested in. We try to make your visit as personalized as possible. We offer two open houses in the fall and spring. These are also great times to visit.

Do I need to pay an application fee?
The application fee for all transfer applicants is waived up front. If you are offered admission and decide to attend Clarkson, we add the $50 application fee onto your $300 enrollment deposit (for a total of $350). Students who apply online or who interview with us either on- or off-campus, will have the $50 application fee waived all together.

Who should I contact if I have any questions about transfer admission or Clarkson in general?
Contact the Office of Transfer Admission at and be sure to check out our Event Schedule to see if we will be in your area during our travels.



We believe tomorrow’s leaders need to experience the world today. Clarkson offers more than 25 study abroad programs in 14 countries. Our extensive partnerships with corporate leaders provide exciting opportunities for co-ops and internships. Our award-winning SPEED program offers 14 competitive design projects annually.