A Clarkson Mosaic - page 222

Beeler then befuddled his audience cleverly on the merits of the "Turbo-Incabulator," a
well-turned piece of technical double-talk about a fictitious piece of equipment essential to the
production of rubber. Their prank went unnoticed until well after the meeting adjourned.
William B. Conroy
. Bill became a member of the Clarkson faculty in 1946 when he joined the
mathematics department to teach at the Malone Branch. Following his graduation in 1923 from
Norwich University where he earned varsity letters in football, basketball, and baseball, Bill
began his career at Chateaugay High School teaching mathematics and serving as athletic coach
for two years. Moving to Franklin Academy in Malone, he served in those same capacities for
15 years, turning out two championship basketball teams and many fine football teams. In
1943, he was commissioned as first lieutenant in the Army Air Corps, serving for three years as
instructor in bombing and high altitude procedures.
Returning to civilian life in 1946, he taught mathematics for two semesters at RPI
before accepting a position at St. Joseph's Academy in Malone. While on the faculty there, Bill
coached basketball and baseball and was highly active in community affairs, serving as
secretary of the Malone Rotary Club, as president of the Malone Fish and Game Club, as
sportscaster for WICY, and as director of the Boy Scouts summer camp.
Moving to the Potsdam campus in 1951, he was appointed director of the Clarkson
Hockey Arena in 1953 to supervise its operation once the new artificial ice was installed.
Among his innovations at the arena, Bill made time available not only for a local skating club,
but also for Northern New York High School hockey games. Potsdam and Norwood High
Schools practiced and played their home games in the arena. A very popular and effective
teacher, he constantly threatened to write a "real" college textbook; he already had its title:
Konroy's Krazy Kalculus
. He retired in 1966 before he could realize that dream, and died a
dozen years later.
Clarkson Guard Reactivated
. Deactivated during the war, the Clarkson Guard was reactivated
following President Ross's approval in June. Along with this reestablishment of advanced
courses, some 12 war veterans met and rewrote the Guard's constitution; it was approved by the
Fifteen cadets composed this first group with Cadet Lt. Paul Tebo as president, Cadet
2nd Lt. Harvey DeVoe as vice president, and Cadet 2nd Lt. Edward Eldrett as secretary-
Expansion Aid
. One of the biggest features of Clarkson's post-war expansion was the
acquisition of war surplus material for use in the labs and machine shop. About $100,000 worth
of material had been obtained for no more than $5,000 before the fall semester began. This
material came from the state department of education and attending "war surplus" site sales.
Despite having only a fifth priority behind 1) federal agencies, 2) veterans, 3) state agencies,
and 4) town and county agencies, Clarkson obtained material of great use to the mechanical
and electrical engineering departments. ME's biggest objective was to replace the outmoded
belt-driven machines in the machine shop with more modern motor-driven machines.
In addition, negotiations allowed Clarkson to obtain about $30,000 worth of equipment
from General Electric in Connecticut that would otherwise be junked. This was Clarkson's
share in a division with 18 other schools in the state.
1...,212,213,214,215,216,217,218,219,220,221 223,224,225,226,227,228,229,230,231,232,...643
Powered by FlippingBook