A Clarkson Mosaic - page 348

Demands number 2 and 3 already were being considered by the Hearing Committee on
Disorders at the time of the sit-in, and number 6 already had been denied by the Grievance
At 4:40 p.m. that afternoon, A. George Davis, then assistant to the president, declared
that such an action constituted a disorder, and asked the group to vacate the anteroom. When
they did not, he left to seek an injunction forcing them to leave or suffer the legal consequences.
While at the judge's office, Davis was informed that the protesters had left at 4:49 p.m. In a note
on the President's desk, this group stated that they had vacated immediately to promote good
faith between students and administration, and to prevent outside interference in college
matters. They left behind a statement which ended with ominous words: "if appropriate action
is not taken by yourselves, repercutions [repercussions] are inevitable."
The only damage done - if it be called damage - was a $15 long distance telephone call
made on the president's telephone, and never paid for by the unknown demonstrator.
Later, at the hearing to determine what if any action Clarkson should take against the
demonstrators, Prof. John Rollins of the MIE department served as President Graham's
representative. As one of the defendants was the wife of John's chairman, George Leppert, he
found himself in an uncomfortable position. Then, during the proceedings, one of the Hearing
Committee members asked a defendant to button his shirt because "his belly button was
showing." Even though the student agreed and buttoned the shirt, George Leppert instantly
removed his own shirt and sat with a bare torso. Ultimately, because the protesting group left
the President's office without having damaged the premises, no penalties were levied against
them by the College.
In light of the remarkable and severe damages inflicted by students on other campuses
across America at this unsettled time in our history, Clarkson's "disorder" was remarkable for
its peaceful nature.
Hockey Televised
. Beginning in the fall of 1970, Clarkson's hockey games were televised over
local cable Channel 2. These telecasts were made possible by an agreement between Inter-
College Radio Network (ICRN) that operated radio stations WTCS and WNTC, and the
Antenna Systems Company which operated the television. This new Clarkson facility was
operated by Bob Emborski and a crew of 20 students, many with TV experience. Antenna
Systems provided free air time for these shows and a cable from the Clarkson Arena to the
broadcast tower. To accommodate these new broadcasts, the arena had to enlarge the press box
and erect a camera platform 10 feet off the ice.
Under the auspices of ICRN which sponsored WNTC and WTCS-FM, all Clarkson
home games were televised, and away games were filmed and telecast the following day; Con
Elliott of WPDM did the announcing. The agreement additionally included telecasting on
Channel 2 plays, convocations, speakers, discussion groups, etc., from all four of the local
Frigid Band
. Clarkson's Golden Knight ROTC Band was honored to be included in the Quebec
City Winter Carnival parade late in January. Led by Cadets James Cooper and Lee Covert, the
Golden Knights braved the extreme winter conditions to march the two and one-half mile
parade route in the event which signals the opening of the Winter Carnival. Marching through
freezing temperatures and blizzard-like conditions, the ROTC marchers were one of two bands
1...,338,339,340,341,342,343,344,345,346,347 349,350,351,352,353,354,355,356,357,358,...643
Powered by FlippingBook