A Clarkson Mosaic - page 72

dormitories and the Science Center revealed no tunnels. One large storage area, however, was
found underneath a hinged step in the barn, but did not continue more than 15 feet into the
Woodstock, a second residence on the estate, standing adjunct to the Homestead,
however, was not damaged by the 1909 fire. Built in 1827 by Augustus Clarkson, this
sandstone home served as a residence until 1888. Since then, it has been used as a dormitory,
student union, and an office building. (See 1935)
Close to the entrance to the estate from the Canton Road was the third residence,
Holcroft House. (See 1927) Occupied by T. Streatfeild Clarkson, Thomas' second cousin, and
his two daughters, Annie and Emily, this home survived the ravages of time. The third floor
added by T. Streatfeild in 1883 was the only major change ever made to the building.
This description, then, encompasses the layout of the Clarkson estate, which was not as
diverse as one might think. The Clarksons may have been elaborate in the chivalrous manner in
which their ladies were treated, in the way they paid for everything with gold coins, and in their
manner of travel through town in horse and buggy, but they were not snobbish and stand-offish
people. In 1927, Miss Annie gave the Clarkson estate's 600 acres of land to the College. Since
then the estate has evolved into the University buildings that one sees scattered across the hill
campus today.
Miss Frederica Died.
Miss Frederica Clarkson died in the Homestead on April 14. Born in
Potsdam, the daughter of Thomas Streatfeild and Elizabeth Clarkson, she spent her entire life in
Potsdam. Of a uniquely generous nature, she joined eagerly with her brother (Thomas S.) and
sisters in benefactions of a public and private nature. Together they built Zion Memorial
Church in Colton, rebuilt Trinity Church in Potsdam, and gave the handsome gates which lead
into Bay side Cemetery. After her brother's death in 1894, she joined with her sisters Lavinia
and Elizabeth, and other members of the family, to begin Clarkson Memorial School.
On September 18, 1909, after chapel services were conducted by Rev. R.M. Sherman,
Rector of Trinity Parish, Potsdam, a memorial tablet to her memory was unveiled, and was
placed on the wall of the vestibule of Old Main. It reads:
IN 1895 OF THE
APRIL 14, 1909
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.
On August 9, Abraham X. Parker died. He had been a Trustee and served as president of
the Board of Trustees since 1899. During his career, he served in the State Assembly, the State
Senate, and the House of Representatives. His widow received a letter of condolence from
President William H. Taft. George Sweet succeeded him as president of the board.
Tech Nite.
Considered a great success, Tech Nite held in September called for every student in
the College to meet on campus. Then they formed a line of march and paraded through the
1...,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,69,70,71 73,74,75,76,77,78,79,80,81,82,...643
Powered by FlippingBook