Background Image


In this Section

Certain employees, given their achievements, may seek to file Extraordinary Ability Petitions, Outstanding Professor/Researcher Petitions, or process under the PERM Labor Certification Application process. 

Under the PERM processing, an individual usually has to go through a three-step process to receive permanent residency.  The whole process may take several years depending on the type of immigrant category and the country of birth. 

  • Individuals may be considered for University sponsorship for U.S. legal permanent residency if the position is permanent.
  • Each individual’s circumstances and qualifications will be evaluated by the Human Resources (HR) Department as not all individuals will qualify for sponsorship even if the individual maintains an eligible job title. 

Teaching Faculty Positions – Full-time tenured or tenure track

  • Assistant Professor
  • Associate Professor
  • Full Professor
  • Clinical Professor

Research Positions – Full-time non-tenure track and/or research scholars

  • Assistant Professor
  • Associate Professor
  • Professor approved for primary project of research activities
  • Librarians may be eligible
  • Research Associates or higher may be eligible
  • Post –doctoral positions and positions with a definite end-date are not considered “permanent” according to US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and Department of Labor (DOL) regulations.  Temporarily funded positions must be discussed with the HR Department to determine whether they meet government regulations for permanent residency.

Staff Positions

  • Only in exceptional cases where a full-time permanent position has been documented as “difficult to fill” by the Human Resources (HR) Department.
  • Very few exceptions shall be made due to the complexity of the petition process and the low chance of success.