Background Image

General Information

In this Section

There are a number of visa options Clarkson University departments/faculty sponsors may use to hire or sponsor international visitors. Each visa type has its own specific requirements that must be met to ensure compliance with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services regulations.

Please contact International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) with questions on specific visa types if you are unsure which visa type is appropriate for your visitor’s situation.

Exchange Visitor Options

J-1 Exchange Visitor – multiple categories

J -1 Professor – Individual whose primary duties are teaching – lecturing – observing or consulting (may also conduct research)

J-1 Research Scholar – Individual whose primary duties are conducting research – observing or consulting in connection with a research project (may also teach)

J-1 Short-Term Scholar – A Professor, research scholar or person with similar education or accomplishments coming to the US on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing – observing – training – or demonstrating special skills (generally includes research – may not be used for undergraduate student research)

J-1 Student Intern – Student pursuing a degree outside the US where the US internship will ‘full-fill the educational objective for his/her degree program at home institution’. (A lot of oversight and coordination between CU & ‘Home’ institution) –