Background Image

Health Insurance Requirement

In this Section

Health Insurance Requirement

An Exchange Visitor (J-1 research scholar, professor, short-term scholar, student, or intern) must maintain adequate health insurance coverage for you and any accompanying family members in J-2 dependent status residing in the U.S.

Failure to maintain adequate insurance coverage is a violation of J-1 status and will result in the loss of employability, extension of stay, change of status, etc.

J1 Exchange Visitors and J-2 dependents must have a health insurance policy that meets or exceeds the following benefits.

  • Medical benefits – at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains – at least $25,000
  • Medical Evacuation – at least $50,000
  • Deductible per accident – no more than $500 per accident or illness

Insurance Coverage Options

You may choose to carry insurance from your home country or purchase an insurance policy of your choice – however – the plan must cover you entire stay.

  • CU employee benefit plans – some J-1 visitors may qualify for CU health insurance plans. Human Resources will provide these details upon arrival when completing any applicable payroll forms.
    • Special Note – CU plans will not cover ‘Medical Evacuation’ or ‘Repatriation of Remains’ and therefore it may be necessary to purchase a supplemental plan to meet insurance requirements
  • Other plans – you can choose to purchase a plan of your choice in your home country or in the United States as long as it meets the minimum requirements shown above. A copy of your ‘Declaration of Coverage’ (or equivalent) will be required upon check-in or during any DS-2019 updates. This coverage statement must be in English.

Note – ISSS nor Clarkson University can determine or suggest an insurance plan. Insurance is a personal decision that must be evaluated to determine if it will meet your coverage needs.

Other Resources –

Health Insurance Coverage