Background Image

Spouses & Children

In this Section

Spouses & Children

Dependents are welcome to accompany the J-1 exchange visitor during their stay in the United States. Dependents are limited to immediate family members that are either your spouse or unmarried children under the age of 21. Any child who approaches 21 must either depart the United States or obtain their own non-immigrant status.

As long as you – the primary J1 exchange visitor – is maintaining status, your dependents will also be maintaining status. The dependent’s status is contingent on your presence in the U.S. and on your continued participation in the J-1 program at Clarkson University.

Dependents Information

  • J-2 dependents can enter the U.S. along with or after the J-1 scholar – but never before
  • J-2 dependents can be employed with USCIS approval and an EAD card – see J-2 Work Authorization
  • J-2 dependents must have their own DS-2019 to enter the U.S. and for future trave/entries
  • J-2 dependents may be admitted to school and attend classes as a full-time or part-time student
  • J-2 dependents may not remain in the U.S. after the J-1 scholar has departed and completed their program. Some exceptions may apply if the absence is temporary.

To invite a J-2 dependent

The J-1 scholar may invite spouses or unmarried minor children to join them in the U.S. after arriving at CU by submitting the following documents to ISSS –

  • Complete a Dependent Request Form
  • Provide financial documentation showing sufficient support for each dependent
  • Provide a copy of the passport for each dependent requested

Once the above are received to ISSS – an email will be sent to the J-1 scholar for J-2 dependent DS-2019 pick-up.

J-2 Visa Application

Dependents will apply for J-2 visas at a U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country with their own DS-2019. Please review the embassy or consulate website for specific documentation required to apply for the visa – however – the following will be the minimum supporting documentation needed;

  • Original or certified copy of marriage license for spouse and/or birth certificate for children
  • Evidence of financial support