Background Image


In this Section

Transfer Information

A J-1 exchange visitor in any category may transfer form one exchange program to another if –

  • The purpose of the transfer is to complete or continue the exchange activity you were admitted for
  • You remain in the same category (i.e. Professor – Research Scholar – Short-Term Scholar)
  • You have not reached the maximum stay limit for the current J-1 category – and –
  • You have not obtain a waiver of the 2-year home residency requirement (212.e)

Transferring from CU

To transfer out of Clarkson University to another exchange program in the U.S., you will need to complete the J-1 Scholar Transfer Release form. This form will be completed by you – your department/faculty sponsor – and – the responsible/alternate officer at your new exchange program. This form will be submitted to ISSS with a copy of your offer letter/letter of invitation – information provided from these documents will allow the ISSS to complete your SEVIS transfer.

Transferring to CU

To transfer to Clarkson University – you and your current program sponsor will need to complete the J-1 Scholar Transfer ‘In’ form. In addition, your department or faculty sponsor at CU will provide you the J-1 Scholar/Professor Application to complete and return with supporting documentation.

Note – your transfer must be completed before the program end date on your DS-2019. You are encourage to begin your transfer program at least 60-days prior to the proposed program.