Background Image


In this Section

Travel within the United States

Exchange Visitors may travel freely within the United States – however – it is advised that you carry all original documents when travelling. This would include your passport – visa – DS-2019 – and – I-94 information. NOTEyou may wish to ‘print’ your electronic I-94 page to facilitate travel.

Travel Basics

  • Travel outside of the U.S. may require a visa to enter other countries. Please be sure to check the embassy or consulate for the country you wish to visit to determine what documentation is require to enter that country
  • Foreign Embassies in the U.S.

  • To re-enter the U.S. you must have the following documents with you –
    • Passport  - valid for at least 6-months into the future
    • Visa – unexpired visa for the current status you hold
      • Exception (Automatic Visa Revalidation) – a valid visa is not necessary when returning from Canada, Mexico and most Caribbean islands if your stay was less than 30-days and you did not apply to renew your visa. Please note that this is not available to all students.
  • Form DS-2019 with a current travel signature
    • This signature should be within the last year – check your documents before travelling
    • If you are transferring to a new school you must have the new schools DS-2019 to enter.
  • Proof of SEVIS fee receipt

Travel to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean Islands

Our proximity to Canada makes travel there a likely option – however – please confirm with the Consulate with the country you wish to visit to determine if a visa is necessary to visit the country. 



 Automatic Visa Revalidation: In general you must have a valid visa every time you wish to enter the United States. However some exceptions apply when you travel to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean Islands AND:

  • You did not apply to renew your U.S. visa
  • You did not stay more than 30 days; and
  • You are not a citizen of Cuba – Iran – North Korea – Sudan – or - Syria

Visa Renewals

Visas must be renewed outside the United States. You may travel to Canada or Mexico to renew your visa – please be sure to review the proper application procedures as a third country applicant.  NOTE – If you apply for a visa stamp at a US consulate in Canada or Mexico and the visa is denied, you must return to your home country and reapply for the visa.

At the Border –

If you encounter problems at the border – don’t panic. Contact the International Center at 315-268-3724 during normal business hours (8-4:30). After hours, please contact campus safety at 315-268-6666 and they will contact someone from ISSS.

The I-94 Record (arrival/departure card)

All entries to the U.S. will create an arrival record and you will be issued an ‘admission number’ or ‘I-94’. This document/number is very important as it contains your admission number – visa type – date of arrival – and – the duration you are allowed to stay. When you enter the country through an airport – this will be an electronic number, when travelling through a land border this will be a small white card stapled in your passport.

Note – since your I-94 tracks your arrivals and departures from the U.S.  – each time you leave the U.S. your electronic record will show your departure  and you will receive a new electronic record upon each entry.