Background Image

Other Entry Options

In this Section

Other entry options

While J-1 or H1-B account for the majority of the international visitors at Clarkson University – there are other entry options available. Each option has specific restrictions and limitations so please review carefully.

Business and Tourist Visa

B-1/B-2 visas are issued for business visitors and tourists. This category may be appropriate for temporary visitors coming to the U.S for conventions – conferences – or – consultations.


Individuals who will perform services in a ‘specialty occupation’ can enter the U.S. in H-1B status. This is an employer-sponsored status that will requires “theoretical & practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge, and – an attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree in the specific specialty (or its equivalent) as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the U.S.”  

At Clarkson University the sponsoring department or faculty member will work with Human Resources on documentation necessary for H-1B processing. 

TN Visa

The TN Visa was developed as part of the North American Free Trade Agreement to facilitate the entry of Canadian and Mexican citizens into the U.S. to engage in professional business activities on a temporary basis.

Visa Waiver Program (VWP)

The visa waiver program allows citizens from certain countries to travel to the U.S. for periods up to 90 days without obtaining a U.S. visa.