Background Image


In this Section

B1/B2 or WB/WT Visitor Visa

The B1 visitor for business can be used for visitors who wish to come to the U.S. to engage in temporary business or professional activities related to their employment or business at home. Immigration regulations defines the term ‘business’ in reference to conventions, conferences, consultations and other legitimate activities of a commercial or professional nature. It does not include local employment or labor for hire. INA 101(a)(15)(B)

 The B1/B2 visa classification may be used by scholars who plan to pay a short visit to Clarkson University. It is not intended for use by a scholar accepting any type of formal academic appointment for a term or longer. A visiting researcher may use this category for short visits.

  • A visiting scholar (faculty or researcher) may visit for up to 90 days to engage in lectures – conferences – seminars – or – independent research
    • Note – If the research is collaborative in nature and/or advances the student’s program at the home institution – J EV visa should be used.
  • No class enrollment required – no study is allowed
  • No limitations on source of funding – no salary or compensation is allowed
  • Visitors be reimbursed for expenses
  • May receive academic appointments but cannot receive any salary or compensation for services.
  • Letter of invitation from CU is required and must include the following
    • Statement of invitation
    • Exact dates of the visit
    • Information about the purpose of the trip
    • Description of activities during the visit
    • Funding source information
  • Upon receipt of the invitation letter – the visitor will apply for the U.S. visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy and provide the following to the consular official
    • Indicate the purpose of your visit  - use your CU Invitation Letter
    • Provide sufficient funding to support the visit to the U.S.
    • Provide information on your intent to return to your home country

At the Border

When arriving at the border the visitor will show the border official the following –

  • CU Invitation Letter
  • Proof of funding or support
  • Passport & B1/B2 entry visa