Background Image


In this Section

The federal government defines an ‘employee’ as “an individual who provides services or labor for an employer for wages or other remuneration.” 8 CFR 274a.1(f). Therefore – I you receive any compensation (examples include; paycheck – meal voucher – stipend) you are considered an employee and therefore should ensure you have authorization to engage in that employment.

There are many types of employment authorization that an international student may obtain. However – please always remember that any form of off-campus employment must have authorization prior to engaging in that employment. Unauthorized employment is considered a serious violation of F-1 or J-1 immigration status. Anyone who violates the rules or engages in unauthorized employment will be out of status and must apply for reinstatement.

Any questions surrounding employment should be directed to ISSS for further clarification.