Background Image

Program/Degree Changes

In this Section

Changing your degree program or major

The F-1/J-1 student status admits you to the U.S. to work toward a specific educational objective – if this objective changes then you must update your I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1) to reflect those changes.

You need a new I-20 / DS-2019 for any of the following scenarios –

  • Changing your major or adding a second major
    • Note – if by changing your major or adding a second major you will need more time to complete the program – you must follow program extension guidelines
  • Changing your degree level
  • Changes in your funding source and/or financial aid offer
    • Note – graduate assistantship updates will only take place if your appointment is for 1-year or 2-semesters.

How to update your I-20 / DS-2019:

  1. Follow University guidelines for changing or adding a major
    • Note – to change your degree level…see admission requirements for the program you wish to apply for.
  2. Submit to ISSS
    • Change in Degree/Program form 
    • Certification of Finances with supporting financial documentation
      • Note – this is only required for major changes if a program extension is required
    • Proof of approval for major changes – or – proof of admission for degree level changes
  3. Wait for ISSS processing – you will receive an email once the I-20/DS-2019 has been updated