Background Image


In this Section


Those here in F1 or J1 status can travel in and outside the U.S. freely – however – you may need a visa to enter other countries. Please be sure to check with the embassy of the country you wish to visit for their entry requirements. You are strongly encouraged to carry your Form I-20/DS-2019 while you are traveling in or outside the U.S.

Travel Basics

  • Travel outside of the U.S. may require a visa to enter other countries. Please be sure to check the embassy or consulate for the country you wish to visit to determine what documentation is require to enter that country
    • Foreign Embassies in the U.S.
    • To re-enter the U.S. you must have the following documents with you –
      • Passport  - valid for at least 6-months into the future
      • Visa – unexpired visa for the current status you hold
        • Exception (Automatic Visa Revalidation) – a valid visa is not necessary when returning from Canada, Mexico and most Caribbean islands if your stay was less than 30-days and you did not apply to renew your visa. Please note that this is not available to all students.
  • Form I-20 / DS-2019 with a current travel signature
    • This signature should be within the last year – check your documents before travelling
    • If you are transferring to a new school you must have the new schools I-20 / DS-2019 to enter.
  • Proof of SEVIS fee receipt

At the Border –

If you encounter problems at the border – don’t panic. Contact the International Center at 315-268-3724 during normal business hours (8-4:30). After hours, please contact campus safety at 315-268-6666 and they will contact someone from ISSS.

The I-94 Record (arrival/departure card)

All entries to the U.S. will create an arrival record and you will be issued an ‘admission number’ or ‘I-94’. This document/number is very important as it contains your admission number – visa type – date of arrival – and – the duration you are allowed to stay. When you enter the country through an airport – this will be an electronic number, when travelling through a land border this will be a small white card stapled in your passport.

Note – since your I-94 tracks your arrivals and departures from the U.S.  – each time you leave the U.S. your electronic record will show your departure  and you will receive a new electronic record upon each entry.