Background Image


In this Section

Frequently Asked Questions

Can students be seen at SHAC on a "walk-in" basis?
SHAC has “walk-in” hours to be seen by a health provider Monday through Friday 8:30am-11:30am (or until full), during the academic year. Students are also able to schedule an appointment to minimize wait time. 

What if a student needs medical attention when SHAC is closed?
For non-emergency medical attention students are directed to The Urgent Care Center in Potsdam, NY (49 Lawrence Ave) open every day 8am-8pm, or CPH Afterhours Clinic located in Canton, NY (approximately 11 miles from campus) open Monday-Friday 4pm to 9 pm, Saturday 9am to 5pm, and Sunday 9am to 5pm.

For emergency medical attention students are referred to Canton-Potsdam Hospital Emergency Room (50 Leroy Street) which is located in the Village of Potsdam approximately one mile from the Clarkson campus. 

Please note The Urgent Care Center, CPH afterhours clinic and Canton Potsdam Hospital’s billing is not associated with Clarkson University and you may encounter a charge if you do not have accepted medical insurance coverage. 

Where is SHAC located?
Student Health & Counseling Center is located in the Educational Resource Building (ERC) Suite 1300 on the first floor next to the Student Success Center.

If I have a prescription; can I get it filled at SHAC?
No, we do not fill prescriptions at the SHAC. If you have a prescription to be filled, the local pharmacies are Kinney Drugs, Walgreens, or Wal-Mart (all within 5 miles of campus) or Price Chopper in Canton (approx. 11 miles)

Prescriptions for depression or anxiety disorders will be evaluated on case basis by health and counseling staff.

Please note we do not diagnose or prescribe medication for ADD or ADHD; we will however write prescriptions refills during the academic year with proper documentation of testing, diagnoses and current medication and dosage from your primary care physician This documentation will be reviewed by the director for approval, if approved the student would need to agree to the terms and conditions of Health Centers controlled substance policy.

Will my parents be notified if I have been to SHAC, or if I am sick?
Treatment obtained at SHAC is confidential and staff will only discuss your visit with individual(s) listed on a consent signed by the student receiving services.

I am a returning student. Do I need to submit another completed health form?
If you have attended Clarkson University within the last 3 years we only require an updated medical history and TB screen questionnaire.

Are there any recommended health-related items students should bring to Clarkson University?
Yes, students will need to bring any ongoing prescription medications.

We also recommend the following health-related items:
  • Health Insurance Card/or copy
  • Thermometer
  • Band Aids
  • Tweezers
  • Fever reducer/pain reliever medications such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen
  • Cough and cold medication
  • Reusable cold packs
  • Ace bandage