Background Image

Yellow Ribbon FAQ

In this Section

What's covered?
Qualified individuals will receive payments depending upon the length of their post 9/11/2001 service. Your eligibility percentage will be listed on your Certificate of Eligibility. If you haven’t received your COE yet, you can estimate your rate here. Covered college costs include:

  • Tuition and (mandatory) fees up to a maximum amount determined by VA, prorated based on your eligibility percentage.
  • A Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) based upon the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents (with some exceptions), prorated based on your eligibility percentage.
  • A yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1000 paid proportionally based on your enrollment, and prorated based on your eligibility percentage.

Who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill?
The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Your eligibility is ultimately determined by the VA.

Who is eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program?
Only veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements) or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active duty service members and their spouses are not eligible for this program (child transferees of active duty service members may be eligible if the service member is qualified at the 100% rate).  Clarkson does not limit the number of students who may receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon program, and will match the maximum VA Yellow Ribbon amount. 

Is there a limit to the benefits if I attend less than full-time?
Yes. Benefits will be prorated based on your rate of pursuit (# credits you are enrolled in / # credits required to be full time).  The Monthly Housing Allowance is only paid if your rate of pursuit is greater than 50%.

I am on active duty, is there a limit to my benefits?
Yes, active duty service members (and their spouses using transferred benefits) are not eligible for the monthly housing allowance or the Yellow Ribbon program.  

Can I transfer my GI Bill benefits to a family member?
Yes, under certain circumstances. Check this Department of Defense website for up to date information about Transferability.

How do I get started?
See the Steps to Obtaining Education Benefits section on the Information for Veterans page.