Background Image

Information for Veterans

In this Section
Steps to Obtaining Education Benefits
  1. Before you can receive education benefits, you must log into VONAPP ( and apply for benefits with the VA. If you don't have the capability to apply online, you can call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to have a paper form mailed to you.
  2. Once the VA has processed your application, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) stating your entitlement. Take this to Clarkson’s VA Certifying Official (located in SAS) for processing. This proof of eligibility is required before you can be certified at Clarkson.
  3. Clarkson’s VA Certifying Official will enter you into a database with the VA and certify your enrollment at the beginning of each semester. This certification is what tells the VA to begin paying your benefits. All necessary paperwork must be on file with the Certifying Official prior to certification.
  4. If you change benefit programs (for example, change from the Montgomery GI Bill to the Post 9/11 GI Bill) an updated Certificate of Eligibility must be presented to the Certifying Official at Clarkson.

What happens if I…
  1. Change my address?
    Contact the VA to update your address as soon as possible. You can do this online through your eBenefits account ( or by phone at 1-877-838-2778)
  2. Add or Drop a class?
    Adding or dropping classes during the semester may affect your benefits. Contact Clarkson’s Certifying Official if you are considering changing your enrollment.