Course Syllabus -- Fall 1997
Scott R. Fulton (366 Science Center, 268-2379, email@example.com)
Office hours: to be announced.
- Learn to use important software tools (including HTML, Maple, and
- Develop your communication skills
- Learn to work effectively in teams
- Meet MCS students and faculty
We will meet once per week on Tuesday afternoons, either in "lecture" or
To know where to meet each week, check the course homepage. Also see the
online course schedule.
- Lecture: everyone together in Lecture Hall 112SC, period 5
(1:00-1:50). This is "section 01".
- Lab: in Computer Lab 340SC, split into two sections: section
11 at period 5 (1:00-1:50) and section 12 at period 6 (2:00-2:50). Go
to the section you are registered for.
This is a required course for freshmen majoring in Math or Computer Science,
given on a Pass/No Entry basis only. There will be no exams. To pass, you
If you have to miss a class, you must submit an excuse from the Dean of
Students (201c Cheel) to Professor Fulton.
- Participate in each class session. You will work in a small team
and complete a short assignment during class (sometimes to be finished
- Complete two projects (one oral/slide presentation and one written/poster
presentation). You will work in a small team outside of class; you must
contribute to both the content and presentation.
- Evaluate the presentations given by other teams in class.
Additional Course Information:
All announcements, schedule updates, handouts, etc., will be posted on the
Freshman Seminar homepage (http://people.clarkson.edu/~fulton/mcs100.html).
Check it out before coming to class.
Last modified: 26 August 1997
Scott R. Fulton