CS100/MA100: Freshman Seminar
Course Syllabus -- Fall 1999
Janice T. Searleman (375 Science Center, 268-2377, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Office hours: to be announced.
- Learn to use important software tools (including HTML, Maple, email,
- Develop your communication skills
- Learn to work effectively in teams
- Meet MCS students and faculty
We will meet once per week on Tuesday afternoons, either in "lecture" or
To know where to meet each week, check the course homepage.
Also see the online course
- Lecture: everyone together in Lecture Hall SC162, period 1
(1:00-1:50). This is "section 01".
- Lab: in Computer Lab SC336, split into three sections: section
11 at period 5 (1:00-1:50), section 12 at period 6 (2:00-2:50), and
section 13 at period 7 (3:00-3:50). Go to the section you are registered
This is a required course for freshmen majoring in Math or Computer Science.
There will be no exams. To pass, you must:
If you have to miss a class, you must submit an excuse from the Dean of
Students (201c Cheel) to Professor Searleman.
- Participate in each class session. You will work in a small team
and complete a short assignment during class (sometimes to be finished
- Complete two projects (one oral/slide presentation and one written/poster
presentation). You will work in a small team outside of class; you must
contribute to both the content and presentation.
- Evaluate the presentations given by other teams in class.
Additional Course Information:
All announcements, schedule updates, handouts, etc., will be posted on the
Freshman Seminar homepage
(http://www.clarkson.edu/~jets/mcs100/). Check it out before coming to class.
Last modified: 23 August 1999
Janice T. Searleman