CS445 Compiler Construction
Instructor: Christino Tamon
Lectures: MWF 8am
Office hours: MWF 9-11am
Pre-requisites: CS344, CS345
Syllabus: A study of compiler design. Overview of the compilation
process. Formal definition of syntax, lexical scanning, parsing including
LL and LR grammars, run-time structures, intermediate code generation, and
storage allocation. Students are expected to develop a compiler for a substantial
subset of a high-level language using compiler tools such as lex and yacc.
- Project 60%
- Exams (2) 40%
- Aho, Sethi and Ullman. Compilers. Addison-Wesley Publishing
- Levine, Mason, and Brown. lex & yacc. O'Reilly and Associates,
- Kelley and Pohl. A Book on C. Fourth edition. Addison-Wesley,
- Horspool. The Berkeley UNIX Environment. Second edition. Prentice-Hall,
- Paul. SPARC Architecture, Assembly Language Programming, & C.
- Design a lex scanner for Pascal.
- Design a yacc parser for Pascal.
- Design a symbol table and type checker module that performs necessary
semantic checking for Pascal (scoping rules, proper variable usage,
- Design a code generator that outputs assembly code for the Sun SPARC