Background Image

Health & Safety

In this Section

Health & Safety

Medical care & Insurance – Health care in the United States can be extremely costly and complicated. All students enrolled at CU are required to have health insurance either through their parent/guardian’s policy, their own policy, or enroll in Clarkson’s Student Health Insurance Plan. Health insurance is very important as it will help defray medical or preventative costs associated with your health care. Choosing a company is a personal choice based on your needs – and while Clarkson University cannot evaluate, recommend, or endorse any specific health insurance company or policy – information on available insurance plans are available.

Special note for J1 Exchange Visitors and Students – all J-1 visa holders are required by the Exchange Visitor Program (EVP) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to have health insurance with specific minimum coverage requirements while in the United States which covers for sickness or accident during the duration of your program.

               J1 minimum insurance requirements include:

  • Medical benefits – at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains – at least $25,000 for repatriation of remains
  • Medical Evacuation – at least $50,000 for evacuation to your home country
  • Deductible per accident – no more than $500 per accident or illness

 Student Health & Counseling Center (SHAC) – The Student Health & Counseling Center is an integrated health & counseling center at Clarkson. All undergraduate & graduate students are eligible for the services SHAC provides – standard physical & mental healthcare visits are free. Visit the SHAC website for details on services and office hours.

 MMR – measles-mumps-rubella immunization – All students are required to be immunized for measles-mumps-rubella (MMR). This documentation must be presented before the first day of classes.